Competition Goal

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I scream! You scream! We all scream for Ice Cream!

So, I’m not the type of person that can deny myself completely of all things yummy. If I try to do that, I end up eating twice as much as I would if I had no restriction at all. My solution to this is to allow myself 1 dessert per week with no regrets and no negative self talk. I find that in doing so I am MUCH choosier about the dessert that I ultimately end up eating. Every sweet thing that crosses my path becomes a 20 minute internal debate before I sink my teeth into it. This is excellent because usually during that debate I can talk myself right out of the desire to “cheat”. Thoughts like, “is this ___(fill in the blank with the item)___ worth losing my free dessert over?” Usually the answer is no so I move on.

Well the other day I chose to eat Ben & Jerry’s Key Lime Pie ice cream. It’s a lovely ice cream. I discovered it shortly before starting this competition and I’m sure I must have eaten 3 or 4 whole pints in that week alone. I LOVE ICE CREAM!!! Always have and probably always will. Ben & Jerry… they are some of my best friends. Just ask my hips and butt because they’ve been gaining ground thanks to those two guys for years! :0)

MY BREAK THROUGH: I opened up that pint of creamy ice cream and started to eat it. Usually if I am having a dessert I’m having it all. But this time I didn’t. I got about 1/3 or the way through that pint of ice cream and realized that I was finished! Done! I had, had enough ice cream to satisfy my craving and I didn’t need to eat any more. Now in the past I would have set this thought aside and pushed through to the bottom of the container. I would have been determined not to waist my dessert with a mere fraction of the total contents. But this time I STOPPED! I put the lid on and put it away! Then guess what else happened. To my utter surprise I was not haunted by the ice cream looming in my freezer. In fact it didn’t bother me at all that it was there. One week later when it was time for my free dessert again I simply opened it up and ate some more. It was awesome!

4 comments:

Karilynn said...

geeze! You're an animal!! Don't you love having control?? It's a fantastic feeling! Congrats! And tell you butt and hips that they need to find a new best friend! ;o)

Vicki said...

Oh-- I love Ben & Jerry's -- I have always been a phish food girl though :)
So glad to hear that you stopped and put it away, and better yet that it did not haunt you... I can totally relate to ice cream calling out my name from the freezer--

Elise said...

Holy cow! GREAT job! Moderation is the key! I can't believe you were able to put it down! I don't think I would have had the same discipline! Keep up the good work!!!

Shannon said...

WOW good for YOU!!! That's awesome will power. Keep up the great work, Mindy!