Competition Goal

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

People Make Excuses, Not Decisions

Wow! So... the last few weeks have TOTALLY sucked! I'm getting my butt handed to me at work, my daughter has been SICK SICK SICK. I'm tired and run down and frustrated. I haven't seen the inside of a gym or felt a track or treadmill under my feet for DAYS (who'm I kidding... it has been weeks) To top all this wonderful off I got hit with a rocking migraine today and I'm praying to God that I did not get whatever it is my daughter has been fighting off. I have so much on my plate tomorrow at it's almost scary and I should have been in bed an hour ago. BUT, I find myself sitting in front of the computer typing this blog instead.

I have been trying to come up with a great blog about something I heard but until tonight I just didn't seem to have it in me. Truth is I'm EXHAUSTED right now so I may still just sound like a mumbling idiot but I guess that's what you all get for reading what is basically just my journal. LOL... I digress.

So here it is. I jumped on the scale today and it would be fair to say I’m less than satisfied with what I saw. I'm frustrated that I had such a rockin month last month and this one has been pretty much a FLOP. (Especially since I would have almost certainly have taking the cash on last months competition and this one is turning out to actually be a challenge for me... probably not the point but, there it is anyway.) As I stepped off my scale shaking my head trying to figure out what the heck I was going to do now I heard myself say, "I don't know what to do!" (yes it came out in that whiny poor picked on me voice that we often use when we're feeling all bummed and stuff.)

Almost as soon as the thought crossed my mind I heard this little statement in my head,

"People make excuses, not decisions."


I know! Totally worth chewing on right? I was having this amazing conversation with a good friend the other day and he said that to me. It's so true. We spend our lives making excuses don't we? "I couldn't go to the gym because..." or "I didn't stick to my diet because..." or "I didn't finish that assignment/job/task because..." How often do we say, "I chose not to go to the gym today." or "I chose to eat off menu today." or "I'm sorry sir, I chose not to do that."

We don't say stuff like that because??? Why? I don't know... maybe because society has taught us that we MUST have an excuse for EVERYTHING. How many of you can't say NO? If someone were to come up to you and say, "Hey! Can you come over and help me move on Saturday?" How many of you could say, "No" and leave it at that? When they ask, "Why?" How many of you could say because I choose not to".. ? Can any of you? NO WAY!!! We'd say, I can't cause I've got this happening or that happening or blah blah blah." Why? Why can we not just make a decision, and live with the choice that we make? Because that person would what? Not like us anymore? If that's true then they probably didn't like you much to begin with. So why is it so hard to make a decision?
I choose not to go to the gym.
I choose to eat this chocolate chip cookie.
I choose to not eat chicken again for-like-ever!

Sure, those choices have consequences. But at least I'll be facing those consequences head on and saying. Yep, I gained 10 pounds because I made those choices. Not just making a thousand excuses about the thousand excuses I made to not do the things I said I’d do.

I don't want to make excuses anymore.

I'm haven't lost weight this month because I have made a thousand excuses not to work on that part of my life instead of making one decision each day, each meal, each hour if that's what it takes. Because really there is only one ultimate choice to make. I choose to make me a priority. No longer will I make an excuse to explain away the fact I am not a priority in my own life.

I choose me.





So, here’s the reality of that statement… at least for me, in my own life. I can not do everything. I’m fighting tooth and nail to lose scale weight and losing sight of what is really important to me. My health. I'm tired of being disappointed by a number which leads me to a bunch of excuses and even more frustration. It's a vicious cycle and I choose not to do it anymore.
Last year although competing (more for the support than for the money) I was working toward a goal that was not connected to my weight loss. I’m revisiting those goals that I have made this year, walk/running 1000 miles and running at least 7 miles of my half marathon. My first is June 11th. That’s coming soon so I’d better get working on it. Those are the things I’m going to be focusing on.

I am not going to focus on losing weight anymore. I choose to focus on strength, distance and speed. I think the weight will follow. I choose to throw that damn scale out the window. I will not longer be a slave to a number.

1 comment:

Samantha Thomas said...

I'm right there with you honey. I get depressed each time I step on that damn scale.. How about we have a bonfire and burn them in protest! I think having a goal of completing a 5K in March is modivation for me to keep moving. If only this damn weather would cooperate!! I don't have a treadmill or gym membership so I need to rely on what I do have. I guess that in itself is an excuse. I need to get my ass out there.