Competition Goal

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Focus

Well, now that i've pissed away almost a week, with poor food choices and little to no exercise, i thought i should kick it into high gear! in addition to not paying attention to my food choices (one day i ate nothing but banana muffins and drank coffee!!! like 20 muffins and 3 pots of coffee!!! EEK!!! What was i thinking???) i've been letting a messed up ankle get in my way. Everyday i had the best of intention of this or that but SPLAT i sure fell short of the goal.

So here i am to revamp! I realize how much getting things written down helps me to prioritize. Thanks again Jaqui for the AWESOME tip of writing down six things i must get done the next day. if it weren't for that i'd have seriously accomplished NOTHING this entire week!



So here is my focus: STRENGTHS!!!


I've decided to narrow it down to a few things i'm really great at.


What are they?


Eating A LOT!

Drinking water!

Walking!

Building muscle!


So here is the plan. I have currently decided to join Karilynn, Jessica and Brandon in completing the Utah Valley Half Marathon, on June 12th! Up until a few weeks ago i had no idea that there were people out there that actually WALKED half and full marathons! did you know that? well all this time i've been pushing myself to RUN and feeling like big fat failure because i SUCK AT IT! never knowing all the while that running isn't the goal....
FINISHING IT IS!!! So, I had a chance to buy into the sold out 1/2 marathon and i jumped on it.

all that to say this:

i'm training to walk/run a 1/2 marathon!

I found this great schedule online that i'm following and it's going GREAT so far. my ultimate goal is a 15 minute mile. anyone that finishes in under 4 hours gets the cool medal and all... so i'm building myself in some wiggle room. it just happens that that is also Jessica's goal so we're going to do it together.

So i've always fought to lose weight and focusing on that in the past has been a real source of frustration. i've found that when my focus is on gaining muscle my results are significant inch loss and fat loss. this sometimes means that my scale weight doesn't move much because i'm putting on muscle but the visual effects are FANTASTIC!!! Since i'm needing a little change up in my game this is what i've decided to do. This means strength training at least 3 days per week. I got a schedule of a bunch of classes available at work and i'm staring to attend them to find one that i
LOVE LOVE LOVE!

So although my choices in food have been poor it is even worse that i have not been eating nearly enough food. for me this is VERY BAD. my body is an amazing fat storing machine and the second i stop eating enough it kicks into high gear "STARVATION MODE". Suddenly i'm storing some part of EVERYTHING i'm eating... both good and bad. which by the way anyone that is above like 40% body fat (can't remember exact number) does. So my goal is to EAT A LOT but make sure that it's all good food. i stocked the fridge with apples and bananas, apple sauce and oats and all kinds of other healthy snacky food.
And with the water... well that's easy. i'm just filling my giant 55+ oz mug at least twice per day and then hooking it up at home by filling my 32 oz mug also twice (maybe 3 times).
I hope you're all doing really well. i had the opportunity at work the other day (in a training class) to read all of your blogs... in fact some of them i read 3-4 blogs back. unfortunately i didn't have comment capability. :0( but it was nice to catch up on all that's going on!
My best to you all!!!

4 comments:

Pitbull said...

You go girl!!! So glad the list thing is working! I've been in such a frump lately (lot more than one week)...but you've inspired me to get back into the game instead of giving up!!! I'm going away for a vacation in the Dominican tonight...but the 26th is my day to start all over again...start fresh!!! Thanks for blogging!

FIDDLEGOAT PAMELLA said...

WOw . you just gave me a good boost up get up and booggie again. Thank you.Mindy thank you for your support always blogging on my page it really makes a difference for me.

I am going to find a marathon around here to walk in.
Also I was glad to be on your blog long enough to here Michael Jackson sing my favorite song he does.
Ps how did you get the music on your blog?
keep up the good work!

Karilynn said...

Love it!! Being able to change your focus helps keep you FOCUSED!! Training for a 1/2 marathon and strength training is a fantastic way to meet goals while not concentrating on NUMBERS all the time! I love you! I'm so excited to see this HUGE change in you. You realize you've been at this since at least September? And here you are... STILL GOING STRONG!!

Samantha Thomas said...

Mindy... Doll...
You are awesome. I too make lists of goals to do daily, weekly, long term. I though have a tendency to let them fall to the wayside.... no more! I'm in control!