Competition Goal

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Balance

This is not really anything new but it’s me just putting stuff down on paper. Sometimes I find that when I talk stuff out (or write it out) it comes together a bit better in my mind. I’m finding in my life that I’m struggling to find a balance and it’s frustrating.

These are all of the things that are important to me: (in alphabetical order)
My: accomplishing my goals, exercise, family, health, improving, Jack(hubby), Jade (daughter), job, learning, losing weight, marriage, ministry, relationship with God, reading, setting goals, spirituality, walking…


That’s not really the longest list in the world but most of it is pretty general and ALL of it is pretty time consuming. Now I’m not kidding myself that I’m the busiest person on the planet or anything and realize that there are far more people out there that have more going on than I. But this is me and what I’m working with and in my life, it’s a lot. I’m really struggling to find a balance.

I feel like when I’m focused on my family and my job my church life suffers. That makes me sad. I feel like when I’m focused on me and my weight loss goals my home life suffers… and so on and so forth. Plug in any combination you want. The point is, I feel like something has to give or nothing gets done.

I know I can’t do EVERYTHING I want/need to but I wish that I could. I have never been very good at time management so I guess that’s something I need to work on. HA HA… just one more thing to add to my list.


I know this is kinda sporadic and rambling. Maybe you all have some suggestions. How do you juggle your lives? How do you prioritize. I guess I could make a list? Maybe I need to be more specific about what’s important and try to plan my days better? Maybe I need to get a day planner? I’ve tried having planners. I found that I just carried them around without ever putting anything in them. Or I’ll spend time putting a bunch of info in there and then never look at it again. HA HA HA, effective huh? I guess I need some balance and I’m open to suggestions.

I think I’ll need to start small.

I’m thinking that this, like my weight loss, is going to have to be something that I implement over time. It’s going to take making a conscious choice, a conscious effort every day to get to the point that I’m making a real difference in my life.

The great thing about me now is that I’m TOTALLY good with that. Even if it takes a year to work out I know now that slow and steady beats the hell out of giving up on myself. I’m taking such big steps to change my life FOREVER that I’m ready to branch out into every aspect.

On a personal note: Today I’m wearing Capri’s that I bought in 2005. The year that my husband and I met. :0) I wore them when we went back east to meet his parents for the first time. It was one of the moments in my life I was the most fit! I’m still about 30 lbs. heavier than then but my body is shaped so differently. I’ve got some muffin top action happening but I’m thrilled as hell to be wearing them! I was talking to jack and I’m so close to the 280’s that I can taste it! I haven’t been in the 280’s for so long I can’t even remember when.
Right now I’m 37 lbs. less than my PRE-PREGNANCY weight! HOW FANTASTIC IS THAT???

6 comments:

Pitbull said...

You go girl!!! It's those little accomplishments along the way that we have to really celebrate! It gives us the drive and energy to get out there and accomplish more! Good breeds good!

As for the time management! That's something that I have really gotten good at lately (I have no other choice). It really is as simple as taking 5 minutes before you go to bed each night...make a list of the 6 most important things to do the next day...and do them! No tv, no internet, no reading, no ANYTHING until they are completed! You'd be surprised how much time we WASTE on just the tv and internet alone! I can't tell you how much more I get accomplished each day when I set out to just complete my list of 6 things! Believe me...with practice it keeps getting easier!

Keep up your good work and determination! You are doing amazing! I look forward to reading about how your list making helps.,..or not!! LOL

M and A said...

love pitbull's idea! might have to give it a try!

Karilynn said...

Finding balance is tricky.. good luck with that. I think that Jacqui is right on though... you've got to stop wasting time on unimportant things. This would be the best way to make more hours in the day! :o)
CONGRATS on the capris AND on being 37 lbs less than pre-pregnancy weight... that is AMAZING!
LOVE YOU!
LOVE YOUR BLOGGING!!
LOVE THAT YOU SAID THIS: Even if it takes a year to work out I know now that slow and steady beats the hell out of giving up on myself. YOU ARE AMAZING!!
Love your guts!

Jessica B said...

37lbs under pre-oregnancy weight is amazing!! Another huge bonus is that with these fantastic changes you are making you will never see those lbs again! You are force to be reconned with.

As far as time management I have had some of the same issues, I want to do it all, sacraficing nothing. That only led to me stressing out and less getting done. I am still a work in progress but the things that have helped me are A)Making two list, and they are specific, one of the things I can let go and another of the things I cant. It sound simple but it really was a challenge for me to let ANYTHING go. My let go things included like cleaning kids rooms everyday and cooking all the meals. I found just by letting go of little things like that and letting my husband and kids things their way, I made time for the things I would not sacrafice like reading with the kids and time with my hubby.

As for the planner, even if you just write it down and never look at it again, the act of writing it down helps to cement it into memory, so I say give it a try. Thats exactly how I use my planner!

Ellura said...

That is wonderful that you got into those pants! When I went down a size last time it was totally awesome. All these clothes I loved now fit - it's like going on a shopping spree for free. I love pitbulls idea. I may have to try that. I got a planner and had every second planned out and there was no room for anything unplanned. didn't work too well - obviously. lol Good luck. You are amazing. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to!

Samantha Thomas said...

Girl I'm soooooo proud of you! You may not know it but you are the one I look up to the most! We are so alike sometimes its scary which helps me because I know if you can do something I can do something and vice versa!

I too struggle with balancing out things. While we were driving to vegas something hit me....

I make it a priority to check Facebook and Blogger multipule times a day with most of those times not really seeing updates. I could probably calculate all those times together and atleast come up with 30-60 mins a day WASTED!!! I could be using this time to walk or go up and down stairs... or SOMETHING! We are all somewhat plugged into this universe online and I think that is adding to the "weight" of our nation!

So I told Duane starting the day we get back (Which is today) I am only checking Facebook/Blogger once a day and trying to "Disconnect". We have plans to work out together tonight when I get home and cook dinner together. Trying to build up our bodies and strengthen our relationship! So try doing a little multi tasking.. but start small.