Competition Goal

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Loving Me

So a few people have made comments about my previous blog… (And I thought I was fat) not those of you in the competition but some others that read my blog but don’t comment often. They say things like, “Mindy, you just need to love yourself no matter what you look like.” Or “Being skinny won’t make you happy, YOU have to make yourself happy.” Or… well you get the point. So I just wanted to comment on those comments.

First of all, I do love me! But I’ve realized that loving me does not mean stuffing my face with greasy, fatty foods and processed flours and refined sugars. It doesn’t mean justifying my obesity with my recent pregnancy or blaming my busy schedule for lack of time to exercise. Loving me does not mean making excuses or laziness and emotional eating. Loving me does not equal complacent acceptance of bad choices.

Loving me means seeing myself when I look in the mirror, really seeing myself and realizing I can do better. Loving me means taking that realization and making plans to improve on what I see. Loving me means feeding my body nutrient dense high quality food often and giving my body everything it needs to run like a machine. Loving me means getting up and getting out… I’m talking about moving! Loving me means improving my heart and lungs while burning fat in the process. Loving me means setting goals and sticking with them, counting my successes not my failures and celebrating my victories along the way!

That’s what I’m doing. Right now for the first time in many years I am TRULY falling in love with me and I’m happy with who I am.

Jen and I were talking last night about the changes we see in our bodies and the changes we see in each other. She and I have been friends for about 8 years and we have “dieted” together or went on a “weight loss program” or challenge SO MANY TIMES!!! We were talking about our continued progression toward health and weight loss and that although sometimes we’d like to see higher numbers we can’t be upset with the constant decrease in weight and inches. Jen asked how many times have we tried to lose weight and given up? I said TO MANY!!! But no more! This time we succeed! One month at a time, one pound at a time, quickly or slowly we will continue our progress till we reach our ultimate goal.

THAT IS WHAT LOVING ME IS ALL ABOUT!

- So far this week I’m right on track for my goal of eating on menu 5-6 days and 3 cardio & 3 weight training days. I’m awesome! :0)

8 comments:

Ellura said...

Mindy, I love this post! Especially this part, "Loving me does not equal complacent acceptance of bad choices." I need to read your blog more often. I have let "life" get in the way lately. You are so inspiring. I've shown your blog to a few people becaue I am so impressed with your success and determination. Thanks for your comments on my blog. A kick in the butt once in awhile is a good thing. :)

Jen said...

yeah girl, we ARE doing it, no more giving up, no more excuses. I dont tell you often enough how amazing you are! I love that everytime I see you, you are wasting away, and I'm so proud of you, even though I dont tell you enough! I love how honest you are about this, how open you are, as it inspires me in so many ways! and I have been told the same thing, but you are totally right, Loving me is about being healthy! I know we have said this so many times, but this summer is truly gonig to rock! but you know what else, this SPRING already rocks! up for a good hike or a little frisbee golf? lets go!

Karilynn said...

Totally linking this on Facebook again! LOVE IT!! LOVE YOU!! LOVE YOU LOVING YOU! ;o) GO Mindy go!

Moi said...

People do think that their words are making you feel better about being fat. They are not being mean they love you and want you to be happy.

You have the right attitude though. You need to be happy for you - whatever that entails.

Pitbull said...

LOVE THIS POST!!! You couldn't have said it more beautifully!!! I agree one hundred and ten percent!! It's incredible what you can accomplish when you TRULY love yourself...in the way you've described in your post!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Wendy said...

You put it beautifully.

Sometimes showing love for someone (even ourselves!) is showing tough love. Sometimes loving ourselves means taking a clear look at oneself and seeing something needs to change.

I think you are doing a wonderful job. Congratulations on your progress!

Missy said...

Hey Girl! Just discovering your site. I must say the first thing that struck me was the song, "How He loves us" playing. It caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting music. And then when that song started, I immediately teared up. This song has been one of my favorites for a long time now. It strikes a chord with me. If you haven't ever heard the version done by Kim Walker, I highly reccommend it! She's the one that made me fall in love with this song. I'm now making a playlist for my site and I'm adding "How e loves us" by Kim Walker. It makes me smile, it makes me cry. Powerful stuff. Now....I have to get back to reading the rest of your posts. THANK YOU for the song, that made my day!

Samantha Thomas said...

Mindy!! Love you!

Just when I think I have heard it all... you come out with some great inspirational blog. You may not think it is but when it moves other people then you know you are an inspiration. Keep on working. I told a friend last week who labeled her blog "Starting Over Yet Again" to stop thinking of it as starting over and start thinking of it as a life long journey because "Starting Over" implies failure and you are destined to feel like you are going to fail again. A loss is a loss and a gain is something you need to take care of and move on. Otherwise we will all continue this cycle.